10 Tried and Tested Treatment Methods for Curing Nasal Congestion
Nothing irritates a person more than sniffling throughout the day, and the very fact that it is the harbinger of other diseases should make you wary of it. What starts as an itchy throat can lead to a full-fledged case of nasal congestion. The human body has the ability to protect itself from various diseases, and the immune system is what helps it in this endeavor. However, due to poor diet or the magnitude of the disease, at times, the immune system fails to protect the body from the onslaught of diseases. Nasal congestion is one such infection which the body’s immune system couldn’t ward off. Though various treatments for nasal congestion are available, it causes great discomfort till the time it lasts. There’s not just one cause of nasal congestion; it stems from different sources. Irrespective of what is the source of nasal congestion, the treatment for nasal congestion is directed towards curing it of the roots.
The causes and symptoms of nasal congestion
Usually, common cold has been identified as the cause of nasal congestion. The common cold is known to give the individual a runny nose, which is a symptom of nasal congestion. However, one cannot simply limit the causes of nasal congestion to the common cold. Nasal congestion occurs when the nasal passage is blocked since the membrane lining of the passage is swollen due to inflammation of the blood vessels. It’s not just a common cold that results in such condition; there are other factors that cause nasal congestion. They are as follows:
- Various elements in the environment can irritate the individual when he comes in contact with it. These are often responsible for triggering nasal congestion.
- Nasal congestion is also caused due to a deviated septum.
- Another cause of nasal congestion is hay fever.
- At times, the nasal passage gets blocked by benign or non-cancerous tumors, and this can lead to nasal congestion.
- When the person is exposed to certain chemicals, it can lead to nasal congestion.
It is common knowledge that before the disease can fully manifest itself, it shows various symptoms. This is true even with nasal congestion. Certain symptoms surface before you start suffering from nasal congestion. If you recognize these symptoms in the initial stages, you can get it treated right away. These are the symptoms of nasal congestion:
- The nasal tissue might start swelling.
- There’s mucus buildup in the nasal passage.
- You might experience sinus pain.
- Also, a runny or stuffy nose too indicates nasal congestion.
Treatment methods for nasal congestion
The treatment for nasal congestion ranges from over-the-counter medications to home remedies. Here are some effective treatment methods for nasal congestion.
- Nasal congestion makes the nasal passage dry and leaves you dehydrated. Under such circumstances, one needs to increase their intake of fluids. Fluids help in clearing the congestion in the nasal passage by thinning the mucus and clearing the sinuses.
- One of the easiest ways to get rid of nasal congestion is by using a decongestion nasal spray. It is extremely helpful in reducing the swelling and inflammation in the nasal passage. Also, it can reduce the sinus pressure and eases the stuffiness one experiences during a nasal congestion.
- Nasal congestion leads to dehydration. So, it is imperative to keep yourself hydrated, and hot soups and teas are a viable option. Lemon and honey tea is an option worth considering.
- A nasal saline spray is quite useful in helping retain the moisture in the nasal passage. The saline spray is nothing more than salt water, and it ensures that the nasal passage doesn’t dry out. Spray it in the nostrils as required.
- Nasal congestion is caused due to inflammation of the sinuses, and nothing works better on inflammation than hot and cold packs. Use hot and cold packs simultaneously to reduce the inflammation, and clear the nasal congestion.
- Garlic is one of the most-trusted natural treatments for nasal congestion. Garlic is known to possess anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can considerably reduce the agony caused by nasal congestion. So, chew on some garlic cloves or add it to the steam.
- Sinus is one of the root causes of nasal congestion. So, to keep nasal congestion caused by sinuses in check, keep your head elevated while sleeping.
- A humidifier is quite useful for treating nasal congestion. It increases the humidity in the air and clears the nasal passage. Also, since nasal congestion leaves the person dehydrated, the humidity in the air is quite welcoming. It is quite effective in reducing the mucus in the nose.
- Take a hot water shower, well not too hot. The steam from the shower helps in clearing the nasal passage. You can breathe in steam from a pot of hot water. Both work quite well in reducing the mucus build-up in the nose.
- A neti pot is quite effective in the treatment for nasal congestion. Pour the warm saline solution from the neti pot into one nostril and tilt your head, so the solution flows out of the other nostril. This treatment method is quite effective for curing chronic nasal congestion and sinus-related issues.